There have been many changes in recent years to the definitions and classifications of proteins and dairy, especially soyfoods, in the USDA guidelines. For example, in December 2012, USDA released Revised Meat/Meat Alternates and Milk Charts in the Food Buying Guide for Child Nutrition Programs that included tofu and soy yogurt.
Make sure your kitchen is aware of the latest USDA Child Nutrition Programs policy updates.
- USDA FAQs on Nutritional Standards (January 2013)
- USDA Guidance for Crediting Tofu and Soy Yogurt Products (August 2016)
- USDA Revised Guidance for Meat Alternates in Child Nutrition Programs (December 2012)
- USDA Guidance on Smoothies Offered in Child Nutrition Programs (July 2012)
- USDA Policy on Non-Dairy Substitutes for Fluid Milk (November 2009)