Spinach Mushroom Tofu Quiche
Recipe by Sharon Palmer, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian.
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup soy oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plain soymilk
- 1 tsp. soy oil or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 tsp. each, salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp. each: dried mustard, paprika, oregano, turmeric
- 15-oz. extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1/2 cup plain soymilk
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. whole grain breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375?F. Mix flour and flax seeds (optional:add dash of salt). Stir in oil and 1/4 cup soymilk, and mix to form a dough. Roll out on a lightly floured surface; fit into 9-inch pie pan. Pierce with a fork and bake for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in a large skillet. Add onions and garlic and saut? for 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and saut? 3 minutes. Add spinach, pepper, salt, and herbs and saut? for about 2 minutes, until wilted. Remove from heat.
- Blend tofu, 1/2 cup soymilk, nutritional yeast, and soy sauce until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Stir blended tofu into spinach mixture, then pour into pie shell. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and return to oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly. Tip: Garnish with fresh chopped parsley for presentation.
Makes 8 slices.
Nutrition per slice: 255 calories, 14g protein, 24g carbohydrate, 5.5g dietary fiber, 13.5g fat (2g sat. fat), 0mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium