Kale-Goat Cheese Artisan Olive Bread
Recipe brought to you by Kansas Soybean Commission. (Photo provided by King Arthur Flour. National Festival of Breads Special Soy Award: Merry Graham, California)
- 2 cups plain soymilk
- 1/2 cup water?
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. agave nectar?
- 2 (1/4 oz.) packages active dry yeast
- 3 - 4 large curly kale leaves
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour?
- 5 - 5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour?
- 2 Tbsp. soy flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 2 Tbsp. vital wheat gluten?
- 1 Tbsp. fine sea salt?
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 2 Tbsp. soy oil or vegetable oil?
- 1 egg plus 1 Tbsp. water for egg wash?
- 1 clove fresh garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. minced, fresh chives
- Heat soymilk, water, and agave nectar to 110?F, add yeast and wait for mixture to foam, 5-10 minutes. De-stem kale and shred, making 2 cups loosely packed. Massage kale until soft.
- In a stand mixer with dough hook, combine kale, flours, wheat germ, flax, gluten, salt, cheese, and olives. Stir in yeast mixture and oil, mix 3 minutes on medium speed. Knead dough 4-5 minutes to form a soft dough, gradually add remaining 1/4 cup flour, if needed. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise until size doubles, 1-1.5 hours.
- Deflate dough and shape into two round loaves; place on parchment-lined cookie sheet. Make slashes across top and cuts around edges. Cover; let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425?F. Pour 1 1/2 cups hot water into pan on bottom rack before baking. Brush loaves with egg wash. Bake loaves one at a time, 30-35 min. on middle rack until center is about 200?F, rotate cookie sheet halfway through.
- Combine garlic, melted butter and chives, and brush on warm loaves. Serve remaining with bread. Makes 44 servings.
Nutrition per slice: 100 calories, 4g protein, 16g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2.5g fat (.5g sat. fat), 5mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium