Postive Effect on Women’s Health
- The American Heart Association says, many soy products are beneficial to cardiovascular and overall health because of their high content of polyunsaturated fats, fiber, vitamins, minerals and low content of saturated fat and no cholesterol.1 Soyfoods are also naturally high in complete protein and nutrients including iron.
- Soy protein and fiber are beneficial in weight loss and can help reduce blood pressure. Research shows they increase satiety and decrease unhealthy snacking decreasing total calories consumed.2,3
- Soyfoods can promote bone health and help prevent osteoporosis.4 Many soy products have calcium, including edamame, soymilk, tofu and tempeh, a key nutrient to keep bones strong.
- Soy may help reduce the frequency and severity of hot flashes during menopause studies show up to 26%.5
- Research shows normal consumption of soy (1-3 servings per day) does not negatively affect hormone levels.6
1. Sacks, FM, Lichtenstein A, et al. Soy proteins, isoflavones, and cardiovascular health: An American Heart Association Science Advisory for Professionals from the Nutrition Committee. Circulation 2006;7:1034-1044.
2. Hu X, et al. Soy fiber improves weight loss and lipid profile in overweight and obese adults: a randomized controlled trial. Mol Nutr Food Res 2013;57(12):2147-54.
3. Leidy H, et al. The effects of a high-protein afternoon snack containing soy on appetite control, satiety, and subsequent food intake in young people. FASEB 2014;28: 381.7.
4. Matthews V.L., et al., Soy milk and dairy consumption is independently associated with ultrasound attenuation of the heel bone among postmenopausal women: the Adventist Health Study-2. NutrRes, 2011. 31(10): p. 766-75.
5. Thomas AJ, Ismail R, et al. Effects of isoflavones and amino acid therapies for hot flashes and co-occurring symptoms during the menopausal transition and early postmenopause: A systematic review. Maturitas 2014.
6. Kurzer MS. Hormonal effects of soy in premenopausal women and men. J Nutr 2002;132(3):570S-573S.